Friday, July 24, 2009

THING 15 - Library 2.0

I tend to think of myself as a technology-challenged individual.  I got a blackberry and wanted to return it the next day, because it was just too much!  Too many beeps, e-mails, notifications... just too much.  But now I can't leave a room without it.  
Honestly, I need to look at technology that same way... it's gong to infiltrate the libraries whether we "want it" or not.  So I might as well get with the program.  A librarian is the heart of the school and should be up to date on current technology.  For example, I am sitting in a coffee shop, working on a masters degree with guidance from online discussions, websites, and video links.  That would not have happened 15 years ago.  I am grateful for the freedom that technology creates in our lives.  And that freedom of information certainly extends to schools, children, and libraries.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, enjoy the freedom we get from technology. When I was in college 8 years ago, online courses were not as available, if at all. Now, I am able to work while holding my 3-year-old, or I can wait to pick up the computer when I know I am ready to invest the time.
    You are so right when you say technology is here and still coming not matter what. The best we can and should do is take it in and integrate it as part of what we do. The Library Widow (http://librarywindow.blogspot.com/) posted an interesting video that shows how relevant technology is in students' lives.

    ReplyDelete